Tribal background

Monday, April 16, 2012

My wedding dress

The young women in my ward put together an activity where we talked about the importance of our white dresses.  More specifically, the three white dresses we wear when we make covenants with our Father in Heaven.  The first being when we are blessed as a baby, second at baptism, and then third, sealed and married in the temply.

They asked anyone who'd be willing, to let their wedding dress be used for a little fashion show at the activity.  I was hesitant.  I am very attached to my dress... But then reality set in and I realized that my dress was never really going to be worn again, so why not!

They also asked us to write a brief description of why our dress was important to us, so I've added that below.  But here I am, with sweet little Hannah, who looked great!  I was so happy to see my dress be worn again, a wonderful reminder of the perfect day Ty and I share. 


My wedding dress
I have never loved a dress more.  It’s a shame we only get to wear it once or twice.  It is so exciting when you go to try on wedding dresses.  Ideally, you go with your mom, sisters and/or closest friends, who have come to give their input as to which dress makes you look the most beautiful. 
I wanted their input.  I wanted my mom especially, to be happy with my choice.  Her good opinion of me was so important.  I realized later that my desire to please my mother, ultimately shaped my lifelong desire to please my Heavenly Father.   As a wedding dress should, I found one that made me feel beautiful, and a dress that I could wear inside the temple.  I loved knowing I got to be sealed to my best friend, wearing my beautiful white dress. 
Some people choose not to wear their wedding dress in the temple, and save it for the reception party after.  I chose to have a dress that could be worn in the temple.  Initially, that choice was made because I wanted my soon-to-be husband to first see me in a beautiful dress, and not my normal temple dress.  Now, I look back and am grateful I made that choice for other reasons.  My wedding dress wasn’t just a dress for the after party, the temple was the party.  A quiet, reverent party; nonetheless, a party to me.  My wedding dress is a reminder to me of the covenants I made in the temple with my husband and my Heavenly Father.  Every picture I have of me in that dress reminds me of the wonderful life I have, and the day it began in the Temple.
-Tammy Carlson


3 comments:

Tracy said...

I love what you have written about your dress. It reminds me of why I love mine and you have just put the words in mind that I never really thought about before.

Great pictures! You look beautiful and so stylish!

Camile Kellogg said...

I remember that special day.. when you wore your beautiful dress. What a sweet, very sweet blessing it was for me to be there. I'll cherish that memory always! Thanks for the beautiful post.

JuLi said...

Tracy (above) said my thoughts exactly! So let me just reiterate her words:
I love what you have written about your dress! It reminds me of why I love mine and you have just put the words in mind that I never really voiced before. I wore my wedding dress in the temple as well and was actually told by some that it was bad idea, but I am so glad i did! and you worded my reasons!!!

Great pictures! Hannah looks lovely and I bet you looked incredible! I'm so sorry we missed that day:)

PS- You lookSOOO cute and stylish. I'm in serious LOVE with your whole entire ensemble!